A good news for all the Samsung Captivate Glide users on AT&T and Rogers. The device has been rooted, thanks to the wonderful effort by a team of android developers from XDA forums. The team successfully rooted the Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-I927) on AT&T and also the SGH-I927R on Rogers.
Let’s rock and roll now! The rooting procedure involves flashing the rooted firmware via ODIN. As always, a word of caution before proceeding.
- The rooting process when done wrongly may result in your phone getting bricked or damaged. We suggest you to double check things before attempting each step.
- This rooting process is only for Samsung Captivate Glide (SGH-I927) and SGH-I927R only. Don’t try it on any other model. You can find out your phone model by going to Settings > About Phone.
- After following the below process, all data and apps in your phone will be erased. Hence you need to take a COMPLETE backup of your data before proceeding further.
You need to have few things intact before starting the rooting process.
- Download ODINflashing tool and extract the content.
- You need to have Samsung USB drivers installed. You may install Samsung Kies that takes care of all needed drivers for your PC. Alternatively, you can download and install drivers from here. Alternative Drivers: 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
Download Rooted firmware suitable for your phone from below link. Make sure you choose the correct file depending upon your phone model. Thanks to lambgx02 of XDA for the download links
1. To begin with, extract the content of the downloaded ODIN package. You should have an exe file named “Odin3 v1.85.exe”.
2. Extract the content of the downloaded firmware. You should have an .tar file in it. SGH-I927 users will have I927UCKI3_STOCK_ROOTED.tar in the extracted firmware. SGH-I927R users will have SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar in it.
3. Power off the phone and wait for 10 seconds until the phone vibrates.
4. Put the phone into “Download” mode. For doing it, press and hold the VOLUME UP key until you see options. Then press Power button once. In the following screen press VOLUME UP key. Your phone will be “Download” mode.
5. Run the “Odin3 v1.85.exe” file.
6. Connect the phone to computer using USB cable.
7. You should see a yellow COM box in ODIN confirming successful USB connection.
8. In ODIN, click “PDA” button and select the firmware tar file that you extracted in STEP 2.
9. Make sure only “Auto Reboot” and”F. Reset Time” is checked in ODIN options as shown below.
10. Hit the “Start” button in ODIN and wait for the process to complete. It should take a while for installing because you are installing complete ROM.
After the flashing is complete, your phone will automatically reboot. Congrats! You now have rooted Samsung Captivate Glide!