It is now possible to root Sony Ericsson Xperia Play on the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware. In order to achieve the root exploit, one needs their Xperia Play’s bootloader to be unlocked.
1. Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Bootloader unlocked. Follow the official instructions given at the Sony Ericsson Blog.
2. Download Play_modded image file to computer.
3. ADB setup on your computer.
1. Launch Command Prompt / Terminal in your computer.
2. Copy the downloaded image file to the Fastboot directory in the ADB setup.
4. Run the below given commands one-at-a-time:
On Windows: fastboot flash system play_modded.img
On Mac OS X: fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system play_modded.img
On Linux: fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system play_modded.img
The image file is nothing but a rooted stock Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware. Hence the noticeably large download size. It will take some time for the flash to complete. After the flash is complete, your Xperia Play should be rooted.